mHealth Services Management (mHSM)
What is mHSM?
mHealth Services Management is a suite of services (mPromote, mRemind, and mMonitor) that combines text messaging or mobile app with business intelligence technology to educate consumers, support treatment management, and automate tasks. mHSM is customizable to suit any healthcare need.
Why use mHSM?
As mobile phones are always on, always connected and always with the patient, mHSM allows you to communicate directly with patients in real-time to improve quality outcomes, increase access and improve appointment and medication adherence.
“Studies consistently find significant cost savings and increases in effectiveness that are attributable to low-cost interventions for improving adherence” World Health Organization (WHO)
Case Study - Industrialized Nations
Patients entered their blood glucose levels into their mobile phones to get real-time responses from an automated system programmed with clinical and behavioral science guidelnes (i.e. business intelligence). The behavioral mobile coaching ranged from immediate and long-term feedback, dietary tips, exercise and lifestyle. The result was a 1.9% decline in average glycated haemoglobin (A1c, the key measure for diabetes control) against a control group using traditional care (0.7%).
The US Food and Drug Administration deems a new drug able to reduce A1c by 0.5% as clinically significant. In the US, $218 billion is spent on diabetes every year, using solutions like mHSM could mean savings of as much as $10,000 per patient.
Source: Charlen C. Quinn, M.D. Shardell, M. L. Terrin, E.A. Barr, S.H. Ballew, A.L. Gruber-Baldini. Cluster-Randomized Trial of a Mobile Phone Personalized Behavioral Intervention for Blood Glucose Control. Diabetes Care. September 2011 vol. 34 no. 9, 1934-1942.
Case Study - Developing Countries
Two randomized controlled trials of text messaging interventions conducted in Kenya showed that text messages can improve adherence to life saving antiretroviral therapy (ART), and, by doing so, prolong viral suppression. Adherence was influenced by supportive factors in the messages.
Interventions such as those implemented in Kenya are highly cost effective and would cost about $8 per patient per year. These amounts represent a fraction of the estimated cost of ART ($880 per patient per year).
Source: H. Thirumurthy, R.T. Lester, M-Health for Health Behaviour Change in Resource-Limited Settings: Applications to HIV Care and Beyond. Bulletin of the World Health Organization. May 2012 Vol. 90, no. 5, 321-400.
mHSM Addresses Many Needs
The use of mobile technology to support the practice of medicine and public health, otherwise known as mHealth or mobile health, is growing all over the world. However this is driven by different motivations. In developing countries, poor and inconsistent healthcare delivery infrastructure and the challenge to manage prevalent communicable diseases increases reliance on mHealth (e.g. assist diagnosis, community health worker motivation and performance, data management, patient counselling, stock out alert, surveillance and training). Whereas in developed countries, mHealth will be a key factor to help address escalating healthcare costs associated with an increasing incidence of chronic diseases and an aging population.
mPromote allows you to improve communications reach and promotes medical education and awareness to large populations:
- Prevention. Communicate prevention practices and health lifestyles.
- Awareness. Provide healthcare information on vaccination and associated campaigns. Educate patients of care options and self-assessment.
- Promotion. Show nearby medical facilities and providers, their hours of operation, waiting times and directions to get there.
- Disease Alerts. Quickly notify and inform people in remote areas of what to do and how to react against disease outbreaks.
- Support Services. Provide support to those with diseases and are faced with stigma and social discrimination.
mPromote utilizes the mobile channel to provide personalized, relevant medical information to individuals.
mRemind allows you to send timely, effective personalized messages to patients, caregivers and health workers:
- Appointment Reminders. Schedule visits on our web interface and have reminders sent on when to attend, how to prepare, what to bring, how to confirm and/or how to reschedule.
- Medication Adherence. Remind patients to take or apply medication and/or provide instructions on how to perform the activity.
- Motivational Messages. Send inspirational and informative messages to motivate patients and remind them of the importance of adhering to treatment protocols.
- Prescription Refill Reminders. Ensure patients have an adequate supply of medication.
- Job Aids. Extend hospital services by providing remote / mobile health workers with relevant treatment information (utilizing 2-way communications).
mRemind utilizes the effectiveness of text messaging to remind patients of their required activities. 97% of text messages are read… and read instantly.
mMonitor generally employs 2-way communications using text messaging or mobile app to collect remote patient information or health-related data and to send behavior interventions:
- Data Collection. Use as a patient reported outcome tool to cost effectively collect information to analyze and view in real-time.
- Monitoring. Monitor patient activity to ensure that they are performing the required activities (e.g. drug adherence, diary entry, etc.) at the required times.
- Intervention. Escalation protocols are used to send reminders to patients if expected data is not submitted, or to send preventive care alerts to medical centers regarding health concerns.
- Supply Chain Alerts. Communicate availability of key drugs to minimize stock outs.
- Disease Surveillance. Collect timely and quality data from remote locations regarding disease outbreaks.
- Authentication. Check the veracity of drugs through SMS validation or mobile app.
mMonitor utilizes the availability of mobile phones to improve patient reporting compliance and to capture key information in real-time.
mHSM is Available across all Platforms and Devices
Health solutions need to be developed and configured according to patient preferences across technology devices and service. mHSM is customisable and configurable across all smartphone platforms (iOS, Android, Windows, Blackberry). Delivering mHealth solutions ubiquitously through smartphones might prove difficult as smartphone penetration varies from country to country as well as across demographics such as sex, age, education and income. There are 500 million smartphone users in the world today. However, there are 6 billion cell phone subscribers in the world. The difference is made up by users of feature phones, or “dumb” phones.
mHSM can also support health objectives through text messaging available on feature phones and smartphones alike. Some examples of feature phone use are shown below.
mHSM is Available World Wide
mHSM is supported by over 1,200 mobile operators in 200 countries and is fully compliant with local text messaging regulations, the U.S. Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA), the EU Directive 2002/58/EC (ePrivacy), EU 2016/679 GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) and the Food and Drug Administration Guidance for Industry Patient Reported Outcome Measures (December 2009).
Synegys provides mobile Health Services Management solutions to Pharmaceutical Companies, Study Sponsors, Contract Research Organizations, Research Institutions, Fitness & Wellness Organizations, NGOs and Medical Centers around the world. Custom text messaging solutions or mobile apps can be developed leveraging our industry and technical expertise to create a seamless multi-level program tailored to specific patient populations.